When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. Absinthe was served in the traditional way in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. It is popular as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is easy to learn.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. One must get the Absinthe having the thujone content.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. AbsintheKit sell replicas of antiques like Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (also known as a cuillere).
– Use a cube of sugar.
– One can use iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– One can slowly drip iced water over the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. By slowly dripping it sugar will dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. As the water is mixed into the alcohol a “louche” effect is visible. The insolubility of the essential oils in water makes the mixture cloudy when water is added to Absinthe.
– An individual has to sit back and enjoy the Green Fairy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Various Absinthe followers detested the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– An Absinthe glass
– Take an Absinthe slotted spoon
– A cube of sugar
– A lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Take the Absinthe spoon to keep sugar cube on it and rest on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. It is necessary to drop the sugar through the spoon into the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy your Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway is famous about mixing it with champagne and called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe about it’s preparation, its history, the ban and the revival. Enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.